Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tick, Tock


The writer’s best friend and worst enemy is time.  Time management to get the book done.  Deadlines. Time to stop to do copy edits on a finished manuscript when you’re in the middle of a new book.  Time waiting when negotiating a contract.  Not enough time to do everything else that isn’t writing related.

When I gave up my day job to write fulltime, I had terrible time management skills.  My first manuscript was finished when I sold it, and I got a 2-book contract.  I underestimated how long it would take me to write that second book.  Lots of all-nighters.  I also made the mistake of not taking my writing seriously enough.  If someone called with a lunch invitation, I was there.  All that did was put me behind.  Not smart.

So now I have a system.  I think pre-planning is the key to successfully meeting deadlines.  That and a cushion just in case life interrupts.  I know it takes me a week and a half to put all my information into Power Structure organizational software I swear by.  Sold by write-brain.com).  If I’m using an unfamiliar location, tack on another week for travel/research.  I know I can comfortably write 15-20 pages a day, but I can’t do that every day.  So I shoot for 60 pages a week.  Sometimes I do more, sometimes less, but it all comes out in the wash.

Then there’s the cushion.  Once I’ve done the math, I add on an extra 2 weeks just in case something comes up.  Kids get sick, doctors’ appointments, just the stuff that crops up as part of everyday life.  I try really hard not to pick a deadline between the 2nd week of November and January 15th.  Christmas is just too hectic around here and it’s hard to host Christmas Eve dinner for 45 people when you’re glued to your computer chair.

I made another change.  I let go of the notion that my house had to be spotless every day.  So what if it gets cleaned once a week.  No one ever died from a little dust.  I’m also blessed with a husband who will take care of things if I’m running up against a deadline.  He cooks, does laundry and cleans without being asked.  Now that’s a husband.

The most recent thing I learned was to do it now.  When my editor sends me revisions, I shoot for a 48-hour turnaround.  Copy edits – 1 day.  The longer you put them off the more daunting they become.  But if you do it right away, you get it off your desk.  And I’m a huge fan of ticking things off my to-do list.

So if you’re ever wondering why I don’t blog every day it’s because I have a deadline for something or I’m taking some family time.  Writing is my job and I take it seriously but I also recognize that to be well rounded, I have to have a life as well.  Always remember to take care of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment