Friday, February 10, 2012

To Market to Market



So what does one do when the market shifts and publishing zigs when you are zagging?  Being the literary whore that I am, I immediately try to figure out how my skill set can fit into the new fabric of the book world.

Notice I said skill set.  I didn't jump on the paranormal bandwagon, nor will I try to jump on the historical train.  Why?  Because I don't know history other than the Civil War and I'm not into world building.  Oh, and then there's the whole humor thing.  I can't write without some laughs and a dead body.

I just got word that Pocket is 'suspending' Finley after the next two releases because funny mysteries aren't selling well.  Will I miss it?  You bet.  But immediately my agent and editor put their heads together and decided I should go dark.  I've done it before so I'll do it again.  Only now, I'll have to go darker than ever before.  But I get to keep my sarcasm and my dead bodies, so I'm still in my comfort zone and using my skill set.

Want to know what's hot?  Invest $20.00 in yourself and join Publishersmarketplace.com.  You'll know what editors are buying now and what will show up on the shelves in the next 1-2 years.  It helps to know what the editorial world is clamoring for and it lets you know which direction to take for your future.

Word of warning - even a great manuscript won't survive an editorial twist.  If my agent had to go out with Finley today, it would never sell.  It would if I was Janet Evanovich or Joanne Fluke or Elaine Viets, but I'm not.  I simply don't command enough of the market to jump the hurdle of poor market share.  That isn't a complaint, it's a reality.

So it's off to the dark side for me . . .

Rhonda

2 comments:

  1. Very sorry to read this. On the one hand we get two Finlay's this spring but on the other hand there is the possibilty that there will be no more Finlays. I refuse to beleive that.... you are too good a writer to go dark for long. In my humble opinion, your writing is far superior to the authors you mention.... just saying. I hope your agent, etc. are hard at work to keep your writing before the public. To not read your stories would be a true crime. (Is there anything us readers can do?) Mary Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary Louise! Maybe if sales do well for Slightly Irregular and Bargain Hunting they'll rethink this. Or, I know my agent is trying to work out a continuation. At any rate, in my head at least, Finley will just be taking a breather. Or not, maybe the decision will change and Finley will keep rolling along.

    ReplyDelete