Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A while back . . .


5 Star review  my foot . . .
I love my husband.  My husband loves promotions.  I do not, but we’ve come to an agreement over the years – I’ll go along with him once every 5 years or so to one of those hard-sell timeshare presentations.  So, he gets a call a couple of months ago from Consolidated Resorts, Inc. inviting us to spend 4 days in Orlando.  Since we live 2 hours from Orlando and since my brother-in-law works for Disney so we get into the parks for free, I agreed.  Consolidated claimed they’d be putting us up in a 5 star resort/spa.  It was going to cost me 2 hours of my life on a promotional tour, so, okay. 

So, we arrive at The Regal Palms and are assigned our ‘luxury townhome.’  You get what you pay for.  The place was filthy.  I could overlook the hideous décor (I don’t think there was a stick of real wood in the place – a tribute to veneer and laminates).  I could overlook the balcony and patio that didn’t have any furniture so the best you could do was stand outside.  I could overlook the 4 towels.  But I’d paid a cleaning fee of $54.00.  I can only assume that the person who stayed before me failed to pay the fee because the pots and pans were crusted with food and there was dried, caked food in the carpet.  The carpet that was once beige but is now so stained it isn’t really any color known in nature.  The same carpet that was installed improperly because the carpet tacks shredded your feet at the entrances to all the bathrooms.

But hey, it’s Disney, so we weren’t going to be in the room for long.  On the next to last day we had to attend the sales pitch.  We were greeted by a person and then sent in a room for coffee and doughnuts.  Only problem?  No chairs – obviously a theme with this place.  Then we were called into a room with tables and chairs and a big Las Vegas styled wheel in the front.  The salesman seated us and then told us all about his family, his past, his record promotion business, his MBA dreams and his extended family back in Ethiopia.  The guest speaker circulated – shaking hands and pretending sincerity.  He repeated everyone’s name 3 times during conversations – a trick right out of the Rotarian handbook.  Almost all his jokes were old and referenced how men are whipped by marriage – you know – “I lost 125 pounds last year . . . I got a divorce.” 

We told the sales guy that we weren’t the least bit interested and that even if we had been interested, seeing the dirty room and the unkempt property would have turned us off from the get go.  He didn’t listen and just pressed on with his prepared speech.  We explained our vacation habits and again he didn’t listen – asking us inane things like “Wouldn’t it be nice if you could have more than 2 weeks of vacation a year?”  – This was asked after we’d told him we average 5 weeks a year and that my husband is retired and I’m a writer so we have all the flexibility in the world.  He blamed the poor state of the property on the fact that it had been built by an English company and Brits didn’t know how to maintain a property.  Bad idea – my father was from Bermuda.  But his crowning insult came when my husband ventured a guess about the prices they were charging.  My husband’s guess was 10K to low and when my husband said he thought that was an inflated price the guy said, “Well, you probably can’t afford it anyway.”  Hummmmmmmmm, never a good idea to see how many times you can insult a person when you’re trying to sell them a 39K condo share with an almost $700.00 annual maintenance fee. 

We said no thanks but hard sell being hard sell, over comes his ‘manager’.  She actually said, ‘If you aren’t interested, why are you here?”  Um, because it was required?  But that wasn’t the funny part for me – I was highly amused by her British accent – I guess she’s the one who made sure the grass was brown and covered with fire ant hills.

So, if you’re ever invited to visit a property managed by Consolidated Resorts, Inc.  don’t believe Alan Thicke (He’s their headliner celebrity endorsement).  Or Tanya Roberts.  Or David Faustino.  Or George Wallace.  Or whoever those other D-list celebrities were posted up on their walls.  Unless, of course, you want to stay in a dirty resort, poorly appointed resort to be harassed by rude, aggressive sales people who have the listening skills of a toddler.

We just got another invitation from them in the mail.  Seriously?  I'd rather remove my own spleen with a fork than revisit that horrid resort hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment