Thursday, March 8, 2012

Selfish and unselfish acts


So we know off the bat that when I say unselfish in any context, I ‘m not talking about myself.  I’m the want-it-yesterday type.  But, last week a warning light appeared on my dashboard.  In an aside – why don’t the lights look like something identifiable?  This was an inverted horseshoe shaped thing with a big exclamation point in the center.  I dragged out the manual only to discover that said light meant I had a flat tire.  Only problem?  I didn’t have a flat tire.  But, in the name of caution, I asked my husband what I should do.  Since he has no man skills, his solution was to put black electrical tape over the warning light – obviously he’s from the out of sight, out of mind school of thought.

It was a mistake to seek his counsel anyway and you’d think after 30 years I’d know better than to ask him for automotive advice.  After all, he is the guy who can’t put windshield washer in a car.  In fact, the last time one of the fluorescent lights went out in the laundry room, he paid an electrician $175.00 to change the bulb.

I was saved the electrical tape option by Angel’s dad.  Yes, I should know his name and I apologize that I don’t, but in my defense, I’m sure he only thinks of me as Katie’s mom – it’s all part of that have children obliterate your identity syndrome.  I happened to be asking Dana (Samantha’s mom J - see, I do know some proper nouns) if she knew anything about non-flat flat tire warnings.  Angel’s dad was kind enough to explain PSI to me and tell me what needed to be done.  He must have seen my eyes glazing over because he magically produced some gauge thingy and also happened to have a portable air compressor on hand.  Angel’s dad has some serious man skills.  He adjusted my tire pressure and even explained how to reset the on-board computer to kill the warning light. 

When I returned home, sans warning light – without having made the long trek to the dealership in Palm Beach - I mocked my husband’s complete lack of man skills while singing the praises of Angel’s dad for the unselfish way he just dove right in.  Nice guy.

The selfish gift?  I booked myself for a weeklong cruise.  Yep, just me, my iPad and my eReader.  All alone.  Selfish but necessary.  I’m justifying this because I had a crappy year last year so I need a mental rejuvenation.  Cruising was the perfect solution.  No decisions to be made.  Eat when you want, sleep when you want.  The only thing I must do is the life preserver evacuation drill. 

Rhonda

No comments:

Post a Comment