Friday, March 16, 2012

I want to move

I've been in Savannah for 6 days and I already want to move here.  The city is amazing - everything you could want or need in a very tight radius.  My dear friend Amy Fetzer and her wonderful hubby Bob (who acted as our driver and tour guide) spent a day exploring the city.

One of my favorite finds . . . Leopold's ice cream shop.  Yes, they have ice cream to die for but they also serve soups and sandwiches.  Had the shrimp salad and it was yummy.  Tasted the coffee ice cream and wanted to bathe in it.  The added fun of this landmark eatery is the fact that the owner shut it down for a few years to concentrate on being a movie producer.  He worked on everything from the Big Chill to Mission Impossible 3.  They have all sorts of fun props and clappers and other items on display for all to see.

The architecture is amazing as well.  The stately town/row homes with their carriage houses and porches harken back to earlier days.  For a south Florida girl where nothing is older than about 1929, seeing all the history was a real treat.  Forsythe Park may be one of the lovliest pieces of public land I've ever scene.

We had to make a side trip to the Boneventure cemetery in a Midnight in the Garden of Evil shout out.  My favorite moment of that side trip was the headstone for a woman who died in 1864 that read"she did all she could."  Not exactly a ringing endorsement of her contributions.

I'm loving my research trip - and my pulled pork and my shrimp and grits.  And of course the plotting sessions are a huge help.

Happy writing,
Rhonda

No comments:

Post a Comment